Friday 30 January 2015

The Decision Made

Hello.  Welcome.  Over at The Craft Barn they are doing a calendar challenge, with other fun in between.  Two years ago I completed this calendar, also in response to a challenge set at The Craft Barn.  I gave this one as a Christmas present and it was very well received.   Looking back, I have decided I really liked the heart mini book format.  It's a good size, not too big or too small, and I like that it is free standing.  So at the risk of starting a tradition I decided to use the same format.  Actually fitting for the time of year..........



The themes for January are Aqua and Snowflakes.  Here's my snowflake stamped and embossed aqua card cut into shape using Sizzix scalloped heart dies.  


I cut Die-namites Festive Owls and Floral Deer from textured black card.  The owls are usually close together but I wanted to put one on each of my calender pages so I cut them apart and cut some extra foliage to fill in the gap.  I backed them with vellum.  I coloured the beaks orange.  I was going to add some more colour to the eyes and breast but decided they looked pretty cool as was.  I added the deer.  The calender tab I printed out using the link provided by The Craft Barn.  I inked the edges of my pages with black archival, punched some holes and added my book rings.  



I like the semi-translucency of the vellum.  You can see a shadow of the embossed snowflake through the owl on the left.  

Joining the fun at
The Craft Barn Calendar Challenge - January
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes 
Bunny Zoe's Crafts Challenge - Hearts 

Thanks for visiting.  Have a great weekend.  Hugz

12 comments:

Virginia L. said...

COOL idea and design! Love your choice of colors! The owl is perfect as the main image! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

Craftyfield said...

The shape of the calendar is different (in a good way!) I like the cute owls and deer. Can't wait to see how your calendar progresses...

kaybee said...

Love the heart shape - great idea. Very strong first month with the black silhouettes - love it!

Lesley said...

Lovely calendar pages! Your owl and deer are so cute! xx

Scrapmate said...

I love the black die cuts against the blue. The heart shape is a good choice to give as a gift.

Dotty Jo said...

Gorgeous - the black really pops against that glorious turquoise, Jo x

Lynne Mizera said...

Oooh.. I am addicted to creating MINI Albums... they just seem to come together so quickly and I really like giving them as gifts of memories of time spent together with family and friends.... Your color choices for this one are inspiring... Inspiring ME to go make another Mini Album... Grin

TwinkleToes2day said...

Beautiful. Unique format and beautiful! :o))

Deepti said...

This is such a cool project ! Black pops beautifully

Unknown said...

A lovely page.

Kay Wallace said...

What a great idea, Gail, and your heart design is just perfect. Creative use of the owls (I was wondering how you reversed it!) stamp and how you separated them. I will look forward to seeing the rest of the pages of this mini!

buterfliecrafter said...

I love the dramatic effect of the aqua and black.