Wednesday 17 April 2013

Coming of Age

Greetings Nomad friends and followers.  I hope that the week is going well for you all.  Here in Norwayland we are coming into Confirmation Season.  Now in the UK it is actually quite a rarity for folks to get Confirmed.  Obviously it has dropped out of fashion and after remembering all the studying we had to do I am not totally surprised.  Here in Norway, and I suspect the whole of Scandinavia, it is something that almost everyone does when they reach 15 and it's usually a Spring thing.  Many do get confirmed in church but there are also non-church services so I think it's sort of a right of passage to adulthood, rather than the strictly Christian thing I experienced many years ago.  So here people maybe don't send New Year cards or Easter cards but you can bet there is a demand for Confirmation cards.  I am making a few this year but as with anything I am finding it easier to make for the young ladies rather than the young men.  Since I need male cards I decided I needed to sit down with that as a goal and here's the result....


I started by making a background collage of stamps.  I used Clearsnap Rollerstamps Define It, Happy Hands and Simple Dots with black ink.  I just rolled away and filled in the gaps.  I bought these a little while ago in a sale and was going to take them off the rollers but since seeing how fast you can cover a large area I am a bit of a convert.  I tinted using DI Dusty Concord, Pine Needles and Walnut Stain. 


I made a second background using DI Ocean Spray, Pine Needles, Mowed Lawn, Tattered Shutters, and Barn Door, spritzed with water and splatted with white paint.  Onto this I stamped my boy stamp from Kort og Godt, cut him out, mounted on black card and cut him out again.  The sentiment is also a Kort og Godt stamp stamped onto card I had embossed with Sizzix Cracked embossing folder and then coloured with DI Mowed Lawn.  Mounted on black card again and I added a couple of silver metal corners from Korthobby. 


I mounted the whole thing on black card and added another silver metal flourish from Korthobby at the top. 

Entering this for
Korthobby Utfordring April - Konfirmasjon
Simon Says Stamp and Show - Background
Kort O Mania - Vår

Sorry I didn't have the proper name on the stamps from Kort og Godt but I clipped the packaging so don't know what they are called.  If anyone does please let me know for my future reference.... 

Take care, have a good one and thanks for dropping by. 

7 comments:

Redanne said...

Hi Gail, I have seen those roller stamps and wondered how they would reproduce - they look fantastic, I really love your background and also the way you have coloured the boy. I lived in Canada as a child and had a confirmation, aged around 12 and I too remember all the study that was required. Hope you get the rest of your cards made. Hugs, Anne x

Candy C said...

Hello. I like the background you've created for your Confirmation cards. The three different stamp rollers you used are a nice combination of patterns. I really like the hands one....I guess because of the boldness of it. :) I like how you have collaged those images together and then given them some color through the use of distress inks. Your second background using the ink sprays and then stamping over them also turned out great! You did a nice job in creating your card! Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Kay Wallace said...

Hi, Gail! We here in the U.S. still observe comfirmation, but it is definitely a confirmation of a religious nature only. Here, it is most usually done when a child is 14 or 15, more dependent upon their grade in school rather than age. But, to your card--it is fantastic, representing both strength in the image and colors, yet the more tender side of the occasion in the text stamps you have chosen. A perfect card for the occasion of a young man's confirmation! Thanks for sharing a bit of the history as well as you card!

Sylvia said...

Great ideas for your confirmation cards, lovely background using the roller stamp.

Sylv xx

Korthobby.no said...

Tusen takk for at du deltar i Korthobbyutfordringen !
Klem Wenche

Cathrine said...

Her har du virkelig lagt ned arbeid i kortet ditt! Herrekort er ikke noe jeg heller syns er enkelt å lage, å tørre og bruke farger på de, må jeg øve meg på. Stilig kort!

Tusen takk for at du deltar på vår utfordring hos Kort 'O' Mania!
Klem fra DT Cathrine :)

Unknown said...

Utrolig kult kort og herlig design :-)
Takk for at du deltar hos Kort O Mania denne gang. Håper å se deg igjen på vår neste utfordring :-)
Klem fra Karin