Thursday 17 January 2013

It's Timmy Time

Hi Nomad friends.  Here we are again and I am a little bit excited because I have decided to join in with Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2013.  Now this is a very long standing challenge Tim has been running but this is the very first time I have tried to join in.  I wasn't exactly sure how close we were supposed to follow Tim's methods but decided it was a guide for inspiration and tips.  Self expression definitely desired.  I must admit I was very impressed with a few of the things Tim showed us and they have been included in my tag with a personal twist.  I didn't have all the materials that Tim used so there is some improvisation along the way but I am rather pleased with the result.  So, here it is, my January 2013 Tag......


I cut my tag using Sizzix Framelit Die - Frame Ironwork.  This gives a point at both ends so I cut the bottom off and put it to one side cos I had an idea.   I embossed the tag with the cogs from the Texture Trades Artful Muse set.  I also embossed Umbrella Man from this set onto a separate piece of card, cut him out and coloured him with Distress Ink Shabby Shutters.  The embossed cogs were coloured with Walnut Stain and some Barn Door on the unembossed bits.  I cut a small cog from My Minds Eye card using Gadget Gears.   OK, I really liked the way Tim had stamped the pointing hand on a tag and offset it on his tag but I didn't have that stamp.  I found "Never a Dull Moment" from Unity Stamp Company's September 2012 SMAK Kit.  I thought it would work and then I noticed that it was a good shape for Umbrella Man's umbrella, except his umbrella was a bit small.  So I stamped it on a piece of card in Distress Pine Needles and cut it out, a bit of freehand embossing and mounted on sticky pads and there's Umbrella Man with XL rain protection.


I also liked the film strip Tim had but don't have anything like that.  I did think about cutting up some old negatives but it's all digital now and the old photo's are packed away in the attic.  So I made a film strip!!  I used movers and shapers square window panes to cut some black card.  I was a bit stuck with the sprockets but have been playing with some new Cheery Lynn dies and had kept the offcuts.  Is that a bit sad?  Probably, but not today cos it saved my bacon!!  Cheery Lynn Snowflake #2 gave these lovely little hearts as waste so I lined them up.  I backed the film strip with acetate and then covered the card parts with glossy accents to make it glossy, but also to protect all those little hearts.  The metal piece is Steampunk with Dragonfly in copper from Korthobby.no.  How gorgeous is that??


I loved how Tim made his ribbon tie but I only had satin ribbon so I tore some neutral cotton fabric, coloured it with Whispers Mossy Stone and stamped it with Jan 2013.  Then I took the small piece I had cut from the tag at the very beginning, embossed with Sizzix Bingo folder and returned it to the top of the tag.


Wow, did I do all that!!  Hope it's not too long winded.  I am sure you will skip it if it is. 

I am entering this for
Have a fun and creative evening.  Lots to do so I'll be back with you soon.  Happy Happy Ho Ho Ho.  

5 comments:

Sylvia said...

Wonderful colour combo on your tag, and what a great idea to put the date on the ribbon. love the metal and of course the umberella man I wasn't sure whether you had to do a "Timmy" tag or let your immagination run free, maybe I will next month!

Nat said...

Fab tag, love all the different elements! Thanks for joining us at Joanna Sheen.
Natx

Korthobby.no said...

Hello
Thanks for attending to our new challenge blog
Thanks Wenche

Anonymous said...

thanks for popping by. i love the texture and metal pieces on here. none of my 'tim' tags has ever turned out the way i hoped it would.

craftytrog said...

Your tag looks great, I love how you improvised, the quote on the brolly is perfect!
Alison x